Help Save a Landmark - Castro Theater to Lose the Mighty Wurlitzer

Castro Theater interior (Image courtesy sfhandyman's flickr stream
Over the course of the Silent Film Festival Weekend I heard rumblings of news that had somehow previously escaped me, the pending sale/demise of the Mighty Wurlitzer at the Castro Theater.  I'm not sure what rock I've been living under and how I missed knowing this, but there you have it.  It was first noted in SF Biscuit, at least this is what my googling turned up.

If you are local, you know the drill, the Castro is the sole remaining single screen neighborhood movie palace left in our fair city.  That this iconic theater is at risk to lose the Wurlitzer is a shame.

So?  What can we do about it?  Read the full details here about SFCODA and the fund raising campaign to save the organ.  The fundraising goal is $700,000.00 and there is a paypal link.  I do not have terribly deep pockets, but I am making a donation.  If you are local, even if you do not, I hope you will consider helping to keep the music playing at the Castro. 

Here's some video of founder David Hegarty playing in the Castro, search for Castro Theater Organ on youtube and you'll see plenty of videos.


Comments

The Lady Eve said…
I hadn't heard about this. Somehow. Thanks for info. Will donate and spread the word.

Popular Posts